The SLPID recognizes that there are a large number of boaters that use and enjoy Saratoga Lake as do the landowners around the lake. This is a draft law that SLPID has prepared to collect a lake user fee in order to continue to fund ongoing work to protect the lake. Once comments are received, revisions will be made followed by submission of the document to the local communities. If the draft law is supported by the adjacent communities and the general public, it will be prepared as a law or amendment to the existing state legislation that created SLPID.
The creation of a boat registration system is intended to create a revenue stream designed to offset the increasing cost of managing non-native aquatic vegetation in Saratoga Lake and preserving the resources of the Lake and the safety of its users.
Annual Registration of Boats
- The following new law requires any boat petroleum-fueled boat be registered with SLPID on an annual basis and display a registration decal. PWC’s are required to be registered. Temporary and annual fees will be set and reviewed annually by the SLPID Board of Directors.
- Annual registration and fees will apply to boats under the following three categories:
Transient Lake User:
A Transient Lake User is a boater who does not have a permanent dock arrangement. Transient boat registrations are required for all petroleum-fueled boats not paying an annual registration. It may be may be purchased daily or weekly. The fee is the same for all boats regardless of type or size. Transient boat registrations expire at midnight the seventh day of the effective date of the registration. Boats that are available from marinas will be annually registered by the marina owner.
SLPID District Taxpayer Lake User:
A SLPID District Taxpayer Lake User is the owner of record of a parcel within the tax district including homeowners, renters, and homeowner’s association members. These members are required to register all petroleum-fueled boats. However, no permit fee will be charged for the first three (3) registered boats owned by the taxpayer and; any additional boats that are required to pay a fee will pay a fee that is reduced by 50% of the regular fee based upon boat length.
Non District Lake User:
A Non District Lake User includes all lot or parcel owners that have dock rights but do not pay taxes to SLPID. These members shall pay annual fees on all petroleum-fueled boats.
Annual Registration Fees
- Annual registration fees apply to boats under the following standards and conditions:
- For the purposes of establishing fees, boat length categories are: less than 21 feet; 21-30 feet; and over 30 feet. Boat length is defined as the distance from the transom to the bow light. This information is printed on the boat’s NYS Registration.
- Registration fees may be collected by a number of private or public vendors including: retail stores, local marinas, the state boat launch; and town halls. Marinas will be required to sell annual registrations based on the boat owner’s status.
- Boat stickers may be issued for multiple years to SLPID members. SLPID Non-Member boat owners are required to obtain a registration annually.
- Boat stickers must be displayed in a prominent location on the left hand side of the windshield.
- Failure to comply may result in revocation of your permit and/or other penalties including fines of up to $250.
|Transient Lake User
Day Use $ 7.50
Weekly Use $10.00
|District Taxpayer Lake User
No Annual fee for first 3 boats
Annual fee applicable for boats 4 or more as indicated below
|Less than 21 feet
|Over 30 feet
|Non District Lake User
|Less than 21 feet
|Over 30 feet