Lake Administrator for Saratoga Lake Protection Improvement District
Responsible To: Saratoga Lake Protection Improvement District (SLPID) Commissioners
Job Concept: Responsible for direction and management of SLPID’s programs, projects and activities to best achieve their mission, goals and objectives. Provide liaison between Commissioners and staff to accomplish authorized programs, projects and activities.
Hours: This is a part time position averaging 1,000 hours/year.
Description of Duties:
1. Supervises, directs and assumes responsibility for the efficient administration of all functions and activities for which the Lake Administrator is given authority by the Saratoga Lake Protection Improvement District (SLPID) Commissioners.
2. Acts as primary liaison, on behalf of the commissioners, with the lake manager, harvester crew, lake stewards and legal counsel.
3. Work with the lake manager and other agencies on the permitting and oversight of aquatic herbicide treatments and other aquatic weed programs.
4. Establish working relationships with various governmental and environmental entities, property owners, the press and lake law enforcement agencies.
5. Manage, train, supervise and evaluate all personnel including the lake stewards and the weed harvester staff.
6. Develop and oversee educational outreach programs for staff, property owners and students.
7. Act as spokesperson for SLPID and answer communications through phone calls, emails and social media as necessary.
8. Attend and participate in meetings, conferences, seminars, webinars, and training to promote and collaborate in the enhancement and protection of
Saratoga Lake, its watershed, aquatic species management and lake water quality.
9. Work with NYS Parks and local law enforcement agencies regarding the NYS boat launch use and maintenance, educational outreach to boaters and law
enforcement on the lake.
10. Communicate with the dam operator to maintain the lake at safe levels throughout the year.
11. Develop and expand upon the responsibilities allocated to SLPID in the enabling legislation.
12. Represent SLPID in a professional manner at all times. Lake Administrator for Saratoga Lake Protection Improvement District
13. Advise the commissioners on issues and measures requiring action by them.
14. Attend all regular and special meetings of the commissioners. Provide informational support at all of its proceedings.
15. Ensure that full and complete records of the financial and administrative activities of SLPID are maintained.
16. Oversee the preparation of the annual operating budget.
17. Ensure all work is performed in accordance with local, state and federal laws and that all personnel and volunteers complete mandated training.
18. Order supplies and oversee expenses related to the steward program and the harvesting operations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
1. Interest and understanding of environmental issues pertaining to lake management, planning, management and protection of Saratoga Lake.
2. Ability to manage staff and volunteers.
3. Ability to initiate and answer correspondence.
4. Ability to speak in public.
5. Ability to interact with elected officials and government staff.
6. Ability to write.
Education, Training, Experience:
1. College or comparable knowledge and experience in fields of resource management, environmental planning or government.
2. Experience in management.
3. Experience working with volunteers.